Saturday 9 July 2016

Stage 8 - Like a bullet and off to Andorra

Stage 8, the middle of the three in the Pyrenees started in Pau the third most visited town in Tour history and finished in another well visited town, Bagneres du Louchon. Not the longest stage but stuffed full of climbs to split the field wide open.

Thanks to my hotel location (up a mountain, with crying and shouting guests) it was a very short journey to the start. Bagneres is a nice enough town with a big sweeping boulevard in the middle. I was happily parked up and wandering into town so early they were still spray painting adverts on to the road at the finish. People were still going about their business, cafes were busy, there just happened to be a race course down the middle of the town. Lots of interest in the one km banner which had a bit of a nightmare the day before when it collapsed on the GC favourites.

I did a bit of shopping, my first cow bell of the trip and i ordered an iced tea in a cafe. Not entirely sure what I got and drank but it was tea-ish and frothy. I had a coke to take the taste away.

Due to logistics after the race, I had decided not to go up the mountain today and so took the chance to see the race from another position, on the final descent, just 3km from the finish. I was interested to see how quickly they descend close up. Luckily I had phone signal so could keep up with what was going on as the race exploded out on the course.

After the daily caravan appearance, which did yield 6 madelaines it was time for the usual build up of helicopter, motorbikes and finally Froome, going like a bullet in a very weird descending position. He was followed by the chasing group of favourites and then but for say 30 others it was at least 20 minutes until the rest of the race came by in three big groups. So to answer question, How fast do they go? The answer is Fast.

I keep mentioning how crucial the logistics are on this trip and today was no exception. The race finishes in Andorra tomorrow and stays in the town for the rest day on Monday. I decided to jump ahead and get to the principality tonight, so I could have a complete day off from driving tomorrow. Annoyingly the race was blocking the obvious route, dipping into Spain and entering Andorra from the South, so I had to take a 164 mile route with over four hours of driving.

I'm fact I'm quite glad i did. The last 50 miles are stunning. I had to leave the mountains and travel along the edge of them, back to that impenetrable wall. However, when I headed south again they soon dominated the landscape again. I turned South at Foix, a lovely looking town that I am staying in on Monday night. The road looks like it had an agreement with the mountains that they would edge aside and let one road in, which would have to share the space with the river. Eventually the mountains thought sod that and the only way in to the Country from France is over the top of a mountain. In fact border control is at the top. Before we get to border control, I just want to reconfirm just how stunning that drive was. For most of the drive the sun was starting to settle and it was clinging to the tops of the mountains like me when I was a kid, I knew I had to go to bed but would do whatever I could to avoid it. The final climb to the border point was spectacular, with views back down the mountain tracing the road winding its way up.

At border control, I decided not to through the peage debacle and went to get out to give the guard my passport. He told me not to and I could go and just as I was about to shut the door 'Brexit' he shouts...I didn't tell him that this was a bit rich from a non-eu country but we exchanged pleasantries and I was allowed in.

I'm really not sure about Andorra. Most of it is very nice, it's a succession of ski resorts linked together by petrol stations. All crammed in to a very narrow gap in the mountains. The road network is mental and parking is always a problem. There is no reason to dislike it but it is the general feeling of duty free that spoils it especially in the capital Andorra La Vella.

However after 4 hours driving and a McDonalds salad for dinner, I arrived at the hotel reception. 'Do you have both passports' he asks. 'No' I said. He replies with 'Alone?' And I say (because I'm witty) 'Do I look like someone who wouldn't travel alone?' To which he says 'you booked a double room'.

Stat attack
Miles covered so far - 1701
Miles cycled - 85 - a cat 1 and 3 cat 4's
Nights since cheese pizza - 3
Tat of the day - 6 Madeleines
As a percentage, how much faster did Froome to after I shouted at him - 0%
Countries passed through - 3

I now have great wifi but frankly I'm too tired to care so will sort out photos tomorrrow during the football as I have a tele





No comments:

Post a Comment