Wednesday 6 July 2016

Stage Five - Climbing Time

After the initial skirmishes, the Tour reaches its first day in the mountains. The GC riders (those with hopes of winning the overall 'general classification') finally have to show their hand. The first mountains is a chance to see what shape they are in. This year we not only have the usual trips to the Pyrenees and Alps but have bonus mountain stages in the Massif Central and Mont Ventoux, a one mountain, mountain range.

To be perfectly honest it's seeing the race in the mountains that is the main reason I am here. You get to see the riders close up, normally going at a much slower speed to normal, the field is much for further apart and the backdrop to the race is amazing. Getting to the race is still technically the same process, get as close as you can by car and then by whatever means you have available make your way up the mountian.

Stage 5 set off from Limoges this morning and like recent days because I wanted to get a decent spot and it was a reasonably long journey, I skipped the start. 112 miles for the drive, which still took 3 hours to get to roughly 8 miles from the little village (Mandailles-Saint-Julien) at the foot of the second and third climbs of a run of 4 all crammed in together to complete the stage. My climb of choice was the category 2 Col de Pertus. As I rode towards it as sign proclaimed that the Col was indeed 'Ouvert', a fact always greeted with happiness but not a little sadness and what I'm about to put myself through. I would also add that though it looked like the road I was on would gently drift along the valley floor, it also included a steady climb of about 5 miles!

The route baree sign was reached as I got to the village but cyclists are the only vehicles allowed on the route, so with an excited flourish I swerved the barrier and was on the course, on a bike and immediately I was on the climb. Now, the col is 4.4km long at an average of 8.9%. However, these facts can be deceptive, especially when there is half a km of downhill. Therefore it follows that the uphill must be steeper than the. 8.9% average and it was. For the first km it didn't dip below 11%, reaching 16% in places. You've got people already in position on both sides of the road so there is no where to hide when you are desperate to drop to a crawl, not that I normally climb any faster than a crawl but I did also have a rucksack on.

Reached the summit, obligatory photos of bike at the top and the rode back down to find a spot for the 3 hour wait. Had a snooze on the side of the road, got woken up by a Frenchman checking I had sum tan lotion on, saw the publicity caravan again and eventually the leader came through, he was followed by 3 or 4 chasers. I was holding flag and my cow bell and I had roped in two members of a family from Devon to hold the bigger flag. The main bunch came through and then it was a case of the rest of the field. The autobus (the name given to the group who congregate at the back of the field on climbing days like this (typically sprinters)) must come through a good 15 minutes behind the main bunch.

Then it's over and it's case of getting off the climb again which isn't easy when everyone is walking down. It was also very hot which made the Tarmac very sticky. My tyres were making a very strange loud noise and eventually I punctured. I only had one spare with me and knew I was roughly 9 miles from the car and hadn't had phone signal since I left the car 5 hours ago. This was the first time on the trip that I felt very alone and stupid to be undertaking this nonsense.

All was fine though and I drove 30 miles to my hotel, which despite being nowhere near the route tomorrow did require driving the first few km's of tomorrow's stage. It was nice to see all the towns and villages with decorations out already. One village was having a party as they built their TDF themed structure, always favourites with the TV cameras.

The drive took me through some stunning places and I've already realised that there is so much to see
that I can't take it all in. I did stop in one village that just had a stunning setting and looked amazing
in the late afternoon sun. My hotel is in a tiny village which appears to have no residents. Luckily my hotel as the three German woman next door so I know there is someone here. I ate pizza in a completely empty restaurant and it took 5 mins to walk round the village (Florentin-la-capelle). The hotel is remarkable as I don't think I have ever had to walk through the bathroom to get to the main bit of the room. The main door opens into the bathroom. The owner has a novel way of dealing with my inability to speak French..ignore it and just repeat everything and laugh. Not going to help, I'm still just going to stare at you.

Stat Attack
Miles driven so far - 1245
Number of TDF vehicles I was in a convoy with today that made me think I was part of the race - 8
Number of riders that I shouted Allez Allez in their face and they looked at me - 2
Countries passed through - STILL 2
Very next word I saw after the sat Nav got confused and sent me the wrong way - peage!

Picture Round



Oh great, it's open

Bike completes a cat 2

Climb fan kit

Strangers are made to hold the big flag 

Movistar look like they are one a club ride 

Katusha rider doesn't seem to be enjoying it 

Just another town passing through 

The very quiet place I'm staying tonight 

4 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoying your blog, Tim - it provides the perfect counterpoint to the TV coverage. Have you eaten any non-pizza meals yet though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Unknown, very kind. 3 so far in the 8 days I've been here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim. Just to let you know my watching of the tour highlights is taking for ever as I have to pause every shot with a union Jack in it just in case it's you! Seriously though, am really enjoying your blog. Keep up the good work.Dominic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dominc, good to know. I did start telling people where I was going to be but they said it spoil their fun. If it helps, definitely the Aspin tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete